Saturday, May 28, 2011

Thirteen Days to Midnight by Patrick Carman

Thirteen Days to MidnightFrom Goodreads:
You are indestructible. These are the words that transfer an astonishing power to Jacob Fielding... and it changes everything. After all, there's something addictive about testing the limits of fear, experiencing the thrill of walking through fire, or saving your friend from a beating in front of the whole school. 
Then Ophelia James, the beautiful and daring new girl in town, suggests that they use the power to do good, to save others at risk of death. But with every heroic act, the power grows into the specter of a curse. How to decide who lives and who dies? And why does darkness seem to be chasing them? Jacob only has thirteen days to figure out how to harness this terrifying power... and the answer is chilling: What if he has to kill the one he loves to save her? 
In the context of a dark, unconventional superhero story, Patrick Carman has envisioned a high concept tale of intrigue, romance, friendship and adventure that probes deep into what teens face as they enter young adult years: navigating increasingly complex choices with greater consequences, as well as the gray areas blurring the definitions of right and wrong.
The question is asked at the beginning of the book and at the end of the book: "If you could have only one superpower what would it be?" Well, Jacob doesn't get a choice of power, it was thrust upon him one day when it saved his life. His only source of information, Mr. Fielding, gone at the same time it happened. Actually, Jacob really doesn't know what really happened... IF anything really happened, but he does know that he is alive when he should be dead. However, when he meets Ophelia, or Oh, his world changes and he finds out the power he was given is real.

This book is an interesting exploration of trying to figure out the limits of this power as well as the consequences. I enjoyed Jacob who is very grounded and also extremely smart. He even eventually figures out there must be consequences even though he can't quite see what they are. He knows that whatever we do have consequences. His friends are also great characters. Milo is a true friend. And even though I began not to like Oh at all for a while in the story, as she became totally obsessed with the power, I do forgive her in the end. Her part in the story becomes crystal clear; in fact the whole adventure comes together and makes total sense.

I give this book 4 stars and I don't want to say more about the book or I will spoil things for you. *bad giggle* ( I couldn't bring myself to be totally evil...lol). I do recommend this book to anyone who wants a different type of YA book with good characters. I enjoyed this superpower and how the kids dealt with the huge responsibility.

So... my question to you... "If you could have only one superpower what would it be?" ;)

I was given this book by the publisher for review and no compensation was given.

Thirteen Days to Midnight Website
The video below is the author, Patrick Carman, talking a bit about the book:

16 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting - I seem to remember reading that this was to be made into a film.

    My superpower? Without a doubt teletransportation. Yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it seems to be really original!

    "If you could have only one superpower what would it be?" ;)

    Mind reading or a high degree of intuitive intelligence, which appears to be close. Yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL

    Okay... mine: Defying gravity. Just think of all the undergarments you wouldn't need! *giggles* Plus, you'd never be afraid of heights! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oh my, are you being back to your evil ways again *shakes head* Evil evil ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Defying gravity

    The higher you go the colder it gets. Who told you, my young lady, that you actually wouldn't need any undergarments? *shakes her head*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Telekinesis or Invisibility!!!

    I need this one now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @anachronist... well, certain undergarments. ;D Besides... I don't need to go into the stratosphere!

    @Bookish... I can see that would be dangerous for you... or er... the bookish boyfriends! O.o *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds like it has a great bunch of character and original plot. I will have to keep an eye out for it. Great review Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having to decide who lives and dies is waaaay too much weight on a youngun's shoulders. I have a hard time just deciding what to wear for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness. I dont think I could ever narrow down one superpower I'd like to possess. Hmmmm?

    Very hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading your review, I am a little upset with myself that I did not grab this book at the store! It was right there! Next time, I will get it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "If you could have only one superpower what would it be?"

    Mind Reading or Invisibility! :)

    I must get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! I'm still sticking to my anti-gravity thing. I'm a rebel. I rebel against all laws! *snort*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun superhero type read. :) Thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. To be able to READ faster than as speeding bullet. You agree, huh?

    I wonder what the consequence would be if I had that power. Maybe the faster I read the more illiterate the world becomes? Gah! That would be awful.

    Okay, don't give me any powers. I'd suck at owning one.

    Sounds like a very interesting story, Mel. I really like stories that have great secondary characters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only one superpower? Well, I would choose something along the lines of what Rogue from X-Men has, that way I don't technically have to have only one... ;)

    Anyways. you have totally intrigued me with this book! *Runs off to add it to Goodreads*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!