Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fire Kissed (Shadow Kissed #1, Shadow #4) by Erin Kellison

Fae Fire 
It is Kaye Brand's power to wield. But outcast from her kind, she's been selling herself to the highest bidder—money for her survival in exchange for a magic glimpse into the flames of the future. 
Angel Ice 
One of the angelic Order, Jack Bastian has no use for a female like Kaye, as provocative and unexpected as her blazing beauty. Yet he has no choice but to hire her to uncover the secrets of his sworn enemy and her former fiancé, Ferrol Grey. 
Magekind 
War is inevitable between the defenders of the Order and the mage Houses who threaten to engulf the world in Shadow. For Jack, mage-born Kaye is off limits, no matter how hot the impossible attraction between them. But in the coming darkness, beset by danger and desire, everything is about to change...
 This is an off-shoot series from her main Shadow series. While I do believe you could read this one without having to read the others, I strongly you read the others. For no other reason other than they rock. Plus, it is so much better to know the side players in this story. *sigh* And yes, I still hold a candle (forgive the pun) for Shadowman even now. ;)

As with the other series, this book is a mix of faerie tale (The Little Match Girl in this case) and new mythology. As with the other books Erin Kellison usually puts in some sort of artistic endeavor. Either a character wields the creative spark, or in this case, revolves around a painting described as the Fall of Magic. It shows how angels and mages are on opposite sides when trying to rule humanity. I just love that touch in this series.

This tale is specifically about Kaye a mage who came to her power late and Jack a warrior angel who is strictly business. Of course plans go awry when emotions are involved. Not just the unexpected emotions between our two main characters but those having to do with both Kaye and Jack's past. They both have things to settle within themselves before they can move on to a future together. And with warring and conniving mages and angels who refuse to believe any mage can be good, will they be able to handle all that is thrown at them? Guess you'll have to read it to find out. *evil laugh* Oh please... like you didn't see that coming. ;) Many twists within will have you guessing at how they could come together... if at all possible. :D

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. It's an excellent edition to the Shadow series. I really enjoyed this romance between the warrior angel and a powerful mage. The balance of emotions as well as adventure combine for one fun read. I recommend it to those who love a dark PNR. This book is out now! Go get it... go!
I received this ARC from the author and no compensation for my review was given.

Books in this series:

Couple of bloggy notes:
Come back on the 13th (yep, Friday 13th!) for a blog post and giveaway by Erin Kellison! 
Also, I read this during the worst part of the CO fires. Considering what happened, it really fit in what is going on now especially considering WHO she was (no, I'm not telling). It gave me an interesting perspective on what is going on. Thanks Erin! :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued. Sometimes I like my romances on the dark side. But I probably should start at book 1 (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempt me not, I really don't want to start any more books that are part of a series ..... still, I could always read this one as a standalone despite the advantages of reading the other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on a roll with this series/world aren't you! Loving the sound of this one, dark PNR's are my favorite, so bring this one on:) I like a book with lots of twists, so I'm excited to try this one, even if you are evil and won't tell me how everything works out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little match girl..really? I do wonder how that works out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark PNR! I love dark tales. Yeah, I do. I am so very curious and plan on reading it. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I understand why you gravitate towards this series, as it has the artistic connection for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!