Monday, October 7, 2013

Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain #3) by Amanda Carlson

Series: Jessica McClain #3
336p.
Publisher: Orbit
Published: Oct. 8, 13
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
Jessica arrives back in town to find her best friend missing and the most powerful witch in the country is blaming her for it. But before they can move to save her, the group is attacked. 
On the run, Jessica and Rourke head to the mountains. Several surprises await them, but in order to save her father they are forced to leave for New Orleans early. 
Arriving on the Vampire Queen's doorstep unexpectedly, and bringing trouble on their heels, the Sects are thrown into an all out war. The vicious skirmish ends up forcing the vamps and Jessica to fight on the same team. 
The Vamp Queen ends up owing Jessica, but what Jessica doesn't realize is just how soon she'll have to cash it in...
I admit that the last books ended with me cursing the author. Mostly because even though it had a full story, it would end in such a way that was a cliffie. I hate those things and trust me, the other two books were so good it didn't need it at all for me to crave the next. Still, crave it I did and so I was happy to get this book in my hot little ereader! :D

In this series if you are sorely lacking any kind of action for your book, you will love this series as a whole. It is JAM packed with action. This book is no different and we are pretty much on the go from the start. With so much going on I began to wonder how this girl was able to recharge. I didn't see much on sleep or even eating so the refueling was at a minimum. I would have thought that there would have been a few scenes where she desperately needed to refuel. Still, if that really is my only complaint I should just shut my mouth because really... magic! I can believe that magic totally did the trick. Mostly because I think those scenes where she refueled would have slowed down the book too much... maybe. :)

We get to know a bit more about Rourke! YEA! Can you cheer? Still an enigma but much better known. Still, don't expect him to take the driving seat in this series. This is all about Jessica and how she is dealing with the supernatural community and what it means. He is in the passenger's seat a bit, but it doesn't bother him unless she is in danger (and she is in danger all the time). Still, he is what feels like the perfect mate for Jessica in all aspects of her life. He might have to fight his protective instincts at times, but he trust Jessica fully. I loved that!

I give this book 4.5 stars. It was just as much fun as the last two and please... can someone get me the next book? Oh and yes, I did curse the author again in the end. The main story is completed but we are left with a huge reveal for the next book. Where is my book???? :D

24 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad this series is keeping up its level of excellence! I haven't even picked up the first book because of the cliffhangers, but I am dying to do so! Wonderful review, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't horrible cliffies, I just hate cliffies period. :P

      Delete
  2. Okay I can't wait to read this now. I liked the first two books-- even with the cliffie-- so I'm dying waiting for this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a book with lots of action! A good fight is always exciting. Love this review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roarke sounds amazing, and love a good fight

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book!! And, yes, I'm already on edge for the next one -- what's gonna happen next?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a fantastic series, but one where I need to wait until all the books are out before I pick it up so I don't have to give myself an ulcer with the stress of waiting. *shakes fist at cliffhangers* Jessica and Rourke are two people I desperately want to meet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Na... you needs it now so you are in the same boat as the rest of us. ;)

      Delete
  7. yay! I loved this book, and like you I really can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to start a campaign to get the next book like yesterday. LOL :)

      Delete
  8. I just read Maja's review and I can't wait to dig into this series. I am all about action packed. I grabbed the first twoo books off NG and sadly they are waiting to be read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason the first book didn't click with me. Quite a few people told me to read the prequel and give it another shot so I think I will.
    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. UF books really can be fast and furious! I just finished one that was so action packed that my head is still reeling days later! I haven't read this series yet, but it sounds like something I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep. Loved what I learned of Rourke here. And Loved Jessica. And...Loved them together. :D Can't wait for more in this world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love action, and seriously this sounds wonderful, I need to snag book one !! Love your review Melissa ..you sold it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, a big reveal for the next book? I have a feeling i'm going to be cursing the author too. Ugh these cliffies and pseudo-cliffies are giving me anxiety! Can't wait to read this though, aside from the book waiting it sounds fab! Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review Melissa, I so need to start reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that this is so full of action. Carlson just refuses to let us breathe! And the development of Jessica and Rourke's relationship was amazing in this one. While book 2 remains my favorite (minus the cliffhanger), I was very happy with this one.
    GReat review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!