Friday, May 16, 2014

Odin's Ravens by K. L. Armstrong and M. A. Marr

Series: The Blackwell Pages #2
352p.
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: 5/13/14
Source: From NetGalley and Publisher for review
Seven kids, Thor's hammer, and a whole lot of Valkyries are the only things standing against the end of the world.

When thirteen-year-old Matt Thorsen, a modern day descendant of the Norse god Thor, was chosen to represent Thor in an epic battle to prevent the apocalypse he thought he knew how things would play out. Gather the descendants standing in for gods like Loki and Odin, defeat a giant serpent, and save the world. No problem, right? 
But the descendants' journey grinds to a halt when their friend and descendant Baldwin is poisoned and killed and Matt, Fen, and Laurie must travel to the Underworld in the hopes of saving him. But that's only their first stop on their journey to reunite the challengers, find Thor's hammer, and stop the apocalypse--a journey filled with enough tooth-and-nail battles and larger-than-life monsters to make Matt a legend in his own right. 
Authors K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr return to Blackwell in the epic sequel to Loki's Wolves with more explosive action, adventure and larger-than-life Norse legends.
My thoughts:
 I admit, the reason I picked up the first book, Loki's Wolves was because Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr were the authors. I don't often read MG, but sometimes it doesn't matter what audience it targets, since a good story is a good story no matter what age. :)

I can start with my biggest complaint... it took too long to get here! You were left with a big cliffie from the last book and this one picks right up where you were after the first one. It took me only a moment to remember what had happened even if it was a while ago... I'm just impatient and wanted that adventure. It starts off strong and doesn't let up. Like the last book, the spellings of the norse gods and objects have not changed for ease of reading for the age group it targets. I appreciated that in the last book and appreciate it here as well. I love books that don't talk down to kids (even if I couldn't for the life of me pronounce any of the words correctly).

As far as the ending with this book? Yes, there is a cliffie, but I was expecting it. Still, it wasn't as heart stopping as the last, but it does it's job and makes you want the book even more. I do like the way the book is heading and the adventure it provides. Therefore, I give it 3 1/2 stars and I am looking forward to the next adventure leading to Ragnarök.

First book in the series:
Loki's Wolves

28 comments:

  1. YEah, Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr were the reason I picked up the first book, too. But I didn't love it so I didn't request this one (plus, that cliffie! I hate those things sometimes!). But I might have to check it out anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first wasn't my fave either, but this one seems to be a bit more pulled together. I think you will like it better. I always hate the cliffie, but this time it didn't kill me as much. :)

      Delete
  2. Ah! I didn't know that's who wrote this book Melissa! I think I would really enjoy this one with those two penning it too, even though I'm not a huge MG reader. Like you said, a good story is a good story no matter the target audience:) A shame about the cliffhanger of course, but they're usually not as bad when you know they're coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it's rare that I'll do an MG, but had to with the authors. ;) I still think that cliffies are bad, but this one wasn't as bad as the last on in this series. I think I was just grateful for that. :)

      Delete
  3. I remember hearing something about these books and being very intrigued, only to forget all about it by next morning. My attention span isn't what it used to be. I don't really read MG, but I love the sound of this story, despite the cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How come I haven't heard of this book before? Oh, yeah, I was living under a rock these couple of months. Damn, I love MG books. They are so much fun and adventurous. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come out and join the party! :) So glad to see you posting again.

      Delete
  5. Kelley Armtrong is soo cool! I didn't realize she has MG books. Now I want to read them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I finally find a book you didn't know about! :D I think your boy would love these when he gets a bit older.

      Delete
  6. Cliffhangers in MG books are even worse than regular books. I am not cool with that. I still will check this series out though with my kiddos when they are a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will enjoy the adventure. At least the series should be out when you start them.

      Delete
  7. That's great you're enjoying these since you don't normally read MG. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, considering the authors and the mythology... had to try. :)

      Delete
  8. I don't read much MG either, but good to hear that it was enjoyable outside the cliffie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes that last cliffie was a a big one wasn't it? I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this adventure but sad I'm in for another cliffie and long wait for Ragnarok. *sigh* :-) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost picked the first up the other day. I'm glad you've found a MG series you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these covers, and I'm very glad to hear you somewhat enjoyed it! I'm terrified of that cliffie though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a while now, I've been looking for awesome Middle Grade titles to read. I've become a bit burnt out with the very-much saturated Young Adult market and I was able to get out a lot of book slumps with a couple of MG books. This sounds actually fantastic, and will read it myself. I've heard about Loki's Wolves before, too, so that's a plus to prioritize this one. Cliffhangers are bad, but sometimes they just compel you to read the rest ;) Great review! I can't wait to feel like a young un again :) Not that I'm old, but still, you know! :P

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a long wait between books can really change how I feel about the next book, especially when they are chiffers.These sound really interesting; I'm loving the Norse mythology for this age group. I'll have to show my teacher friend, but warn her about the cliffhangers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might read this when the series is complete. Thanks for the review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The descendant of Balder died, big surprise there

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I didn't realize that the authors were Amrstrong and Maar, that's nice! The end sounds good even with the cliffy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even if it wasn't as heart-stopping as the first book in the series, I'm glad you still enjoyed this despite its flaws. I'm not the hugest fan of cliffhangers (mostly because they make me just want to read more!), so thanks for the warning. ;) I'll definitely have to give this a try when I'm in the mood for a MG fantasy series. Thanks for sharing Melissa, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to read this series! I was trying to get my niece/nephew to read it first lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love both these authors, though I don't think these books are quite for me. Just not my cup of tea, really, but thanks for such honest reviews, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been needing to start this series forever . . . but I'm a big chicken b/c anything YA (and therefore presumably MA as well) that Armstrong has put out recently has been pretty MEH for me, and Marr . . . well, I either love her or love her not and there's really no way of predicting it. BUT . . . I'm loving Norse mythology . . . BUT cliffys! Gah! The fact that it's not talking down to the target audience is a huge bonus though, so . . . soon(ish?). I clicked on the Read Now for book 1, so I really just need to bite the bullet and stop waffling. Stop waffling, Jessica!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've only read Marr's Wicked Lovely series and wasn't too crazy about it. I loved Armstrong's Darkest Powers trilogy though but haven't read any of her other books. I don't read MG as much these days but I love stories based on mythologies and so will give this series a try in the future. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!