Monday, December 8, 2014

Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

Series: His Fair Assassin #3
444 p.
Published: 11/4/14
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Source: From publisher for review
Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own. 
She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has...

My thoughts:
I loved the second book so I came into this one expecting the same. It was different but it seems that the author went back to more of the political intrigue and that did slow down parts of the book a bit. I didn't mind that but I know that not everyone enjoyed that aspect in the first book.

I did find the plot twists in this story to be predictable. I guessed them very early on. This does not mean I didn't enjoy it, but I do think the intended impact was lessened. I also did like the romance early on but didn't like the twist in the end. I didn't hate it, but I was saddened to see it move away from the pagan culture. I liked the tension created in the world between the One God religion with the pagan one created by the author. I don't want to reveal more than that, but I think it was a plot point that was easy to see.

I think my favorite part of the stories was the connection the girls Ismae, Sybella and Annith all had with each other. I think that connection strengthened the girls and they all became more independent because of their friendship. I felt that connection was strengthened in this book.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed the trilogy as a whole. I recommend the books to those that enjoy fantasy.

24 comments:

  1. I hate all things politics in real life, but for some explicable reason I rather enjoy them in books, so even though the pacing of this one was slower, I'm psyched about the former. Fab review!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about politics! LOL The second was by far my fave.

      Delete
  2. I finished this last week and although I liked it well enough - I didn't love it which bummed me out. It was one of the books I was most excited to read.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way. I do think I may have to reread the second one though... :)

      Delete
  3. I still need to play catch up and read the second book. The first book left me with a big hangover. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these days, almost started it today
    and then not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trilogy to B: Read me... read me!

      See.. you cannot resist!

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean, after book two this was a let down. It was good but not great. I still though loved the series overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read this..ya all are scaring me since I loved Dark Triumph so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of people seem to be a bit disappointed with this one. I just like the fact that each girl and her book are totally different than one another. They each had completely different circumstances, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the 1st one, but I freaking LOVED the 2nd one. If this goes back more towards the first book, then I'm still okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm sorry this one wasn't as good as the previous one... It's difficult when the story is predictable sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the cover and the synopsis and yet your review has left me wondering whether I would in fact enjoy it. Hmm, perhaps a series I'd consider if lost for something to read but otherwise I'll be giving this one a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still need to read this series Melissa! I have Grave Mercy on my kindle and I'm excited to start it. I'm even more excited for book two though, it seems to be the universal favorite just as this one seems to be the weakest of the three. Still sounds like a solid read though:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still haven't read this series! ahhh *bangs head on table* I've been so busy and I just haven't made the time but I promise now that all books are out i'm binge reading them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Politics in my fiction books always makes me a bit merargy. I do have book one of the series on my tbr pile. Maybe one day I'll make it there even with the political leanings :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's disappointing that this didn't wow you more. I just got my copy and am looking forward to reading it, hopefully soonish. Hopefully I don't mind the political stuff too much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The connection with the girls does sound like it would be a highlight

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'v heard so much about this series, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet! Thanks for sharing though x Fab review!

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of these. But I do agree that I don't like figuring out the twists or what's going to happen ahead of time, Sorry this wasn't as good as Book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh I really want to read this series! I've heard fantastic things about the relationships and characters in general. Glad that you enjoyed this one too, Melissa.

    Fantastic review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wonderful to hear. I haven't read this series yet, but I do remember hearing about it. I do love the covers thought. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!