Monday, December 21, 2015

Manners & Mutiny by Gail Carriger

Series: Finishing School #4
Last book in series
326 p.
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: 11/3/15
Source: Library
If one must flirt…flirt with danger. 
Lessons in the art of espionage aboard Mademoiselle Geraldine’s floating dirigible have become tedious without Sophronia’s sweet sootie Soap nearby. She would much rather be using her skills to thwart the dastardly Picklemen, yet her concerns about their wicked intentions are ignored, and now she’s not sure whom to trust. What does the brusque werewolf dewan know? On whose side is the ever-stylish vampire Lord Akeldama? Only one thing is certain: a large-scale plot is under way, and when it comes to fruition, Sophronia must be ready to save her friends, her school, and all of London from disaster—in decidedly dramatic fashion, of course. 
What will become of our proper young heroine when she puts her years of training to the test? Find out in this highly anticipated and thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Finishing School series!
My thoughts:
I was so sad that I couldn't get this one for review but I requested it at my library first chance I got! So, this became one of my library reads. I was not disappointed and I couldn't wait to see how everything ends.

The mystery and espionage were as good as the other books. I quickly fell into this world and couldn't wait to find out what happened to my favorite characters. I do think things were well rounded up and it all made complete sense. So why was I a bit disappointed? I can only figure that it is because it is the ending book as to why I was left bereft when the last page appeared.

The issue between Soap and Felix is resolved and it makes sense! I couldn't see how that one would come about. I also love the new Soap. :) There are also minor issues that become resolved within the book. I think the resolutions are so complete it made me a bit disillusioned. No more guesses as to how things will work out. No more guesses at the impossible. No more Sophronia's adventures. I was also upset by Bumbersnoot's resolution. Although I have to say I couldn't have thought of anything more perfect (other than him coming through the book to land on my lap) in how his adventure was resolved. I can only say that I'm truly disappointed that this is the last book.

I give this book 4  1/2 stars. It is a perfect resolution to all the lose ends we encountered throughout the series. I would not skip around in the series but read them in order. This series is the perfect steampunk adventure for YA and adult crowds but it almost ends too perfect for me. That was it's only real problem in the book (what a funny problem to have!). I couldn't have thought of anything better but it also means we have to leave this world and go onto other stories. I highly recommend this series to everyone.

14 comments:

  1. Gah. Okay, I've seen this author a lot lately, but for different books. I seriously need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read her adult series in this same world. I loved this one and I think you will as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a grea time with it. I was quite mixed by the first one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved these. I think they do get better as it went though. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to start this series!! I'm glad to know it's worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too perfect endings, yes I know those

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I know I'm not the only one! :) I still couldn't have thought of anything better.

      Delete
  5. I only read the first book but it was so much fun. Need to catch up.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read the first two so far but the third is one I plan to listen to on audio. I really love this authors books on audiobook. I'm really happy to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get my earbuds charged up so I can finish listening to book one. They died about halfway through. Ahhh Glad you were able to snag this from the library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm only skimming your review because I just picked this one up from the library! I'm definitely pleased with your rating. The only thing I'm worried about is resolving all the loose ends in such a short amount of pages. I think this is the shortest book in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Melissa, I am also sad this series is ended, but you will see lots of familiair characters in the Parasol Protectorate, and after that, in Prudence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Gail Carriger! She is so funny. I haven't started this series yet, but it is definitely going on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!